Beans and Rice!
Turns out we can’t eat gluten anymore. I’ll miss you bread and beer. Welp, mourning period over, thankfully there’s cider and mead to fill the gap. One casualty of this great deglutening is pasta. Man, I love pasta and we used to eat it all the time as a de facto “easy meal”. Nothing quite beat the ease and simplicity of a bigass pot of boiling water combined with wheat sticks doused in some kind of sauce.
Beans and Rice save the day.
In search of a dish to fill my spaghetti hole I came across an instant pot recipe for beans and rice that didn’t sound terrible. It suddenly occurred to me that the reason I bought the damn thing in the first place was to cook stuff like dry beans which takes forever without a pressure cooker. It’s a damn simple meal that covers a lot of bases. It’s vegetarian (I don’t care), it’s gluten free (Fair), and it only takes about 30 minutes (BOOM).
Ok, enough of my bullshit, here’s the recipe:
- 1 16oz can of Goya black beans, Doesn`t need to be Goya… They’re just beans.
- 1 16oz can of Rotel - I use regular, you can do what you want, be an adult!
- 1 Yellow onion - I use the whole thing diced but maybe you’re not into onions? Maybe you want to use white onions? Who am I to judge?
- 3 cloves of garlic - dice these fuckers up!
- 2 Bell Peppers - I use 2, one red and one orange or Yellow - also diced.
2 cups of Rice - I use Jasmine because it’s delicious, you do you.
Cumin - about one tablespoon
Salt - Up to you I usually use about a talespoon
Garnish and In bowl additions:
- Sour cream
- Mexican blend Cheese
- Hot sauce of choice
- Chopped cilantro
- Garlic, diced bell pepper, diced onion, and about 2 tablespoons of oil into the instant pot set on sautee.
- Sautee that fragrant pile of vegitation until it’s sauteed!
- Turn off sautee and fill with beans, rotel, and anything else you want to slop in there.
- Set instant pot for Manual > High Pressure > 10 minutes.
- When complete, release pressure and add 2 cups of rice (This is a good time to add extra liquid if required - I use chicken broth for this)
- Stir in rice.
- Set instant pot to Rice setting and wait.
- Gently fluff (Insert joke here)
- Garnish and serve the resulting Lava to someone you like, or hate, it’s just food.